Dairy free, Gluten free, Nut free
Ingredients (serves 4 as a side)
1½ cups white quinoa
3 small beetroot
2 small leeks, trimmed, cleaned and cut into 2 cm lengths
2 tsp fresh dill, finely chopped
1 lemon, finely zested and juiced
2 tsp Dijon mustard
80 ml extra virgin olive oil
sea salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Using a mesh sieve, rinse the quinoa thoroughly under running water. Transfer to a medium sized saucepan and add 375 ml of water. Cover and bring to the boil then reduce heat to low and simmer for 14 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow to sit for 5 minutes before fluffing with a fork. Spread quinoa over a wide mixing bowl and allow to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, make the dressing by combining 60 ml of lemon juice with the mustard, olive oil and plenty of seasoning in a small jar. Shake to combine.
- Peel the beetroot (you might want to use gloves!) then slice whisper thin rounds using a mandolin or very sharp knife. Place in a small mixing bowl, pour over a quarter of the dressing, toss to combine then set aside for at least half an hour.
- Meanwhile, bring a medium sized saucepan of salted water to the boil. Add the leek and cook at a steady boil for 5 to 7 minutes, until very tender when pierced with a paring knife. Drain, rinse under cold running water and drain thoroughly again.
- To assemble, sprinkle dill and lemon zest over the quinoa then toss with the remaining dressing. Taste and season. Divide quinoa between four plates and arrange the leek on top then carefully add the beetroot and its dressing on top.