Dairy free, Gluten free, Nut free
Ingredients (makes lots!)
½ cup golden flaxseeds
2 Tbsp unhulled sesame seeds
2 cups cooked brown rice, cooled completely
2 tsp tamari
2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1. Preheat oven 170ºC. Combine the flaxseeds with ½ cup cold water and set aside to soak for 15 minutes.
2. Meanwhile toast the sesame seeds in a dry pan over a medium-low heat, stirring constantly until they smell nutty. Remove from heat and allow to cool completely.
3. Combine gelatinous flaxseeds, rice, tamari and olive oil in a food processor and blend until the rice is broken down entirely: it should form a sticky dough studded with flaxseeds. Add the sesame seeds and pulse until evenly combined.
4. Scoop out a quarter of the dough and roll it between 2 pieces of baking paper until very thin (about 1 millimetre), trying to maintain a roughly square shape. Remove the top piece of baking paper and make cuts in the dough in whatever shape you want- these will allow you to break the crackers neatly when cooked. We made rectangular crackers but you could make diamonds, triangles or even circles with a cookie cutter if you don’t mind the scraps! Place the crackers on a baking tray and repeat the process with the remaining dough.
5. Bake two trays at a time in the preheated oven for 20 – 30 minutes, rotating them midway, until crackers are completely dry and crisp. The crackers pictured took exactly 21 minutes but yours will be sensitive to the exact thickness, moisture content and the type of oven so keep a close eye on them! Repeat with the other two trays.
6. Cool completely, carefully crack to seperate and store in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
– Top with sliced avocado, sea salt & pepper
– Top with sliced tomato, crumbled feta, sea salt & pepper
– Dip into hummos
– Use as an alternative to corn chips in nachos