Does kale really live up to all the hype? Sure does! This green leafy vegetable is a rich source of vitamins A, C, K, folate, as well as minerals calcium, potassium, copper and iron. We all know calcium is essential for bone health, but do you know the amazing powers of potassium? Potassium is a fantastic mineral for reducing bloating and fluid retention (great for cleansing!). Kale is also abundant in antioxidants beta-carotene, lutein and zeaxanthin. What’s this good for? Eyes, skin, liver and brain health! Kale is a good vegetarian source of iron, but what really makes it a superpower for cleansing is that it contains the phytochemical sulforphane. This stimulates detoxifying enzymes in the liver and is actually activated by crushing the leaves! So be sure to massage and chew your kale!
Our detox kale salad also contains: pomegranate – high in antioxidants, pumpkin seeds – a rich source of zinc and tryptophan (tryptophan converts to serotonin in the body – our feel good factor!), chia seeds – a source of omega-3, and goji berries – another fabulous food full of antioxidants!
This should be on every detox menu!
250 g fresh kale (approx. 2 large bunches)
1 clove of raw garlic (crush the garlic prior to chopping to release its goodness)
pinch of ground black pepper
pinch of sea salt
2 tbsp. cold pressed olive oil, flaxseed oil or chia oil
1 tsp. honey or your choice of sweetener
1 bunch parsley, chopped
2 tbsp. pumpkin seeds and/or sunflower seeds
2 tbsp of chia seeds
2 tablespoons goji berries or cranberries
- Pull the kale leaves from their stems, shred, wash leaves and place in a large bowl (discard the stems).
- Place crushed garlic a small bowl with salt, pepper, lemon juice, oil and honey – mix the ingredients together and pour over the kale leaves.
- Toss and massage the dressing into leaves (to soften the leaves).
- Add additional ingredients parsley, pumpkin seeds, chia seeds, and goji berries.
- Finally add the pomegranate, toss and taste.
- Additional extras – seaweed, green beans, avocado, walnuts, pine nuts